By Sarah Zalcmann
JCC Camps at Medford Committee Member
Part Six of our Summer 2020 CAMPaign.
It is hard to adequately express just how much the JCC Camps at Medford means to our family. It is truly a highlight of our entire year and our children begin counting down the days to camp as soon as their summer comes to an end. The camp experience provides days packed with fun, structure, and priceless opportunities for learning and social growth. The memories and friendships formed are timeless and span beyond school district boundaries and synagogue affiliations.
For our kids, we could not ask for a better environment. Their days are full of outdoor activities that range from sports, to science, to arts, to swim–learning valuable new skills each summer. Every day provides new adventures and fun, and they leave and return with smiles on their faces day in and day out.
As parents, we have the utmost respect and appreciation for the staff and how they run the camp. Safety is paramount, as is inclusion, community and repairing the world. The camp does a phenomenal job informing the parents on daily activities, updating us on our children’s progress throughout the summer, and the daily professional photographs they post help us see the joy on our kids’ faces all summer long.
The JCC Camps at Medford needs our help, more than ever before, to ensure that this joy continues for years to come.
While camp has cut spending at this time, you may be wondering why so many expenses have been incurred prior to the summer starting, and why camp needs our help. Here are just some of the ways that money is spent in preparation for the summer:
- Professional Staff Salaries – Our year-round professional staff members work all year to plan an amazing summer experience. They have already taken pay cuts while still working above and beyond their regular hours, and the Katz JCC has laid off 60% of its workforce.
- Site Maintenance & Utilities – Our gorgeous 120-acre site requires ongoing maintenance and upkeep.
- Recruitment – Our professional staff go to camp fairs and community events across the region to talk about camp, meet with families, and recruit the next generation of Medford Campers.
- Marketing – Our marketing team works directly with our camp team to create eye-catching and engaging marketing materials.
- Program Planning & Supplies – From the day camp ends, we are already thinking about program improvements for the following summer. Throughout the entire offseason, our team is planning and purchasing supplies for summer programming.
Please consider a donation to the JCC Camps at Medford so that camp can continue to create these amazing summer opportunities for our children year after year.
To make a donation to help sustain the JCC Camps at Medford, please click here.